Institute of Education and Behavioral Science (IEBS) has its beginnings with the establishment of Department of Education in 2005/6. Psychology was also launched as unit within the Department of Education. In 2007, psychology was promoted to the level of Department. Till 2015, both psychology and education departments had been functioning under the College of Social Sciences and Humanities. In 2016, the Senate of Debre Markos University decided to organize IEBS. Thus, IEBS was launched by consisting of Department of Education, Department of Psychology, Department of Special Needs and Inclusive Education and Department of Early Childhood Care and Education.
In its regular, extension, and summer programs, IEBS currently runs three undergraduate (Psychology, Special Needs and Inclusive Education, and Early Childhood Care and Education), five postgraduate/ Masters (Developmental Psychology, Curriculum Studies and Instruction, School Leadership, Special Needs and Inclusive Education, and Early childhood Care and education), and one PhD (Developmental Psychology) programs. It also hosts one Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching (PGDT) and Post Graduate Diploma in School Leadership (PGDSL).
IEBS planned to contribute more in the field of teaching and learning, doing research and providing community services. So as to equip new instructors with the science and art of teaching in higher institution, IEBS has been providing different training programs such as Higher Diploma Program, Induction and Pedagogical Skill training. It also offered life skills trainings for first year students.
The institute is administered by a dean. To assist the work of the Institute and the dean, three vice deans’ offices and one administrative unit are organized. These are Vice Dean, Research and Community Service coordinator and post graduate Vice Dean, and quality assurance Vice Dean.
Institute of Education and Behavioral Sciences has 56 academic and 10 administrative staff. The professional qualification of academic staff consists of two associate professors, thirteen assistant professors, thirty eight second degrees and three first Degrees. Among the academic staff, 3 and 9 academic staffs were on study leave for second and third degrees, respectively.
Academic staff qualification and their number
10 with PhD
Second Degree (MA)
First Degree (BA)
- IEBS aspires to be one of the top ten Applied Science Institutes in East Africa by 2030
IEBS Core Values
- Quality first
- Academic freedom
- Spirit of innovation
- Indigenous wisdom
- Social responsibility
የዕዉቀት አዉድማ ከጮቄ ማማ(Grow wiser at the water tower)
- Prepare knowledgeable, skilled, and attitudinally mature graduates in relevant disciplines to support peace, democracy and national development that can make the country internationally competitive.
- Promote and enhance research focusing on knowledge and technology transfer consistent with the country’s priority needs.
- Establish a system to create and enhance institution who can be emulated as center of excellence for mission attainment and good governance.
Academic Departments and Programs
- Department of psychology
- Department of Education
- Department of Special Needs and Inclusive education
- Department of Early childhood care and Education
- PhD in Developmental Psychology
- MA in Developmental Psychology
- MA in Special Needs and Inclusive Education
- MA in Early childhood Care and education
- MA in Curriculum Studies and Instruction
- MA in School Leadership
- Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching (PGDT)
- Post Graduate Diploma in School Leadership (PGDSL)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Early childhood Care and education
IEBS has eleven offices, six classrooms, and one store.
Partnerships and collaborations
IEBS has a tradition of working with various stakeholders so as to achieve its objectives. It has built partnerships with Southeastern Oklahoma State University, and with a number of governmental and nongovernmental organizations within the country.
- Dean of IEBS
Dr. Tesfaye Abebe
Office Location: Building 25, Room No. 110
- Vice Dean of IEBS
Dr. Temesgen Demissie
Office Location: Building 25, Room No. 109
- Research and Community Service coordinator and post graduate Vice Dean
Office Location: Building 25, Room No. 104
- Institutional Quality Assurance Vice Dean
Assistant Prof. Birhanu Mekuria
Office Location: Building 25, Room No. 105